Monday 12 August 2019

How I Make Soap

    A couple of months ago I put a photo of soap making on my Instagram account. There was a lot of interest from people who wanted to get started with soap making but didn't know where to begin so I promised to write a post about the way I make soap.  But first I need to clarify that I am not an expert at it.
We have been using my homemade soap for roughly six years and would never go back to using commercially produced soaps.
I also wanted to find another use for the tallow (rendered fat) from our on-farm killed beef and it is a very good base for the soaps that we use here.
This soap is our shampoo and for hand and body washing, and I'm happy that we have no more plastic shampoo bottles to dispose of.
It's a beautiful shampoo, leaving no soapy build up in our hair, as would happen with commercial soaps.
When I used to have my hair cut by hairdressers, they were surprised to hear that I used soap/shampoo bar and agreed that my hair was in great condition. They soon gave up on trying to sell me their "products."

There are many bloggers who write about their experiences with soap making so, as I am not the expert, I will direct you towards the ones I have found most informative and interesting.

I started off with Rhonda from Down to Earth who has an excellent soap making tutorial.  This is a very clear tutorial with lots of photos and easy to read instructions that I recommend to anyone wanted to have a go at making soap.  I used this recipe of coconut oil and olive oil to make my first batch of soap.
It is not necessary to use the best quality organic coconut oil that we cook with, so I use blocks of Copha from the butter and cheese section of the supermarket.  I wouldn't eat Copha, but I think it's OK to use it in soap.
I also buy large containers of cheaper olive oil from Aldi for the sole purpose of soap making. Once again, I wouldn't eat that cheap olive oil, but it's perfectly fine for soap.
When I make soaps from olive and coconut oils I don't add any fragrance because it has a pleasant smell and many people prefer to use unscented products.

I strongly recommend you then read more of Rhonda's various soap tutorials for all of the small details and information to get started.
If you are like me you will read them over and over to get a very clear idea of how to proceed, you might take notes, and then you will choose a day that you can afford the time to set aside a couple of hours to slowly and methodically go through the steps.

Once you learn the process and get into a rhythm, you will be whipping up soaps of your own concoctions in a spare hour at any time. It can be as creative as you want to make it.
Your home made soap will be graciously received when gifted to friends and family too.

 

 It is very very important to follow the exact amounts/ratios of oils to lye (caustic soda).
I use  this Brambleberry lye calculator for calculating the exact amounts of caustic soda and water that I need to add to my various types of oil to produce the correct chemical balance for perfect soap every time.

 I always make up 1000g (1kg) batches for easy round figures.

As an example;
500g of beef fat (tallow) 
250g block of copha
250g of olive oil
When I put all of these oils and fats into the calculator it tells me that I will need
145g lye (caustic soda)
330g water or other liquid

Use digital scales to ensure exact weights

OR
I might use 200g olive oil and 50g of another type of oil, a few grams of beeswax etc etc to make up the remaining 250g
All of these oils and fats must be entered into the soap calculator at their exact weights.
Different oils and types of fats have different qualities and require the exact amount of lye and water to produce a soap.

When using tallow or animal fats I find it necessary to add some fragrance to mask the fatty smell.
Our favourite is eucalyptus oil.  *It must be the real oil, not the water soluble stuff.*
This oil holds its fragrance when stored for many months and is neither sweet nor artificial. Far more acceptable for folks who don't want fragrances.
For the above recipe, 42g of eucalyptus oil added at trace produces a very mild smell that is not overpowering.
*Trace is the term used when the oils and lye mixture thickens to a custard like consistency.

Another very good resource  is this ebook from Liz at Eight Acres who is a very experienced and energetic soap maker, among many other things.
I wrote a review about it here.

As you can see, I have not purchased any special equipment for making soap.  After all, I've had years of  making-do and finding things at op-shops.
I didn't even buy these disposable moulds... they were gifted by friends who purchase their milk from a shop.

In the first photo you will see that I use stainless or enamel saucepans. I did use a pyrex jug initially for combining the lye with water, but it cracked under the intense heat so, a small stainless steel saucepan from the op-shop is perfect for the job.
The larger stainless saucepan is used for melting the fats/oils and then the lye/water mixture is poured into this same saucepan for the mixing.
** To avoid spills and splashes while mixing I use this larger saucepan.
Soap making equipment is used solely for this purpose and stored in the laundry cupboard when not in use.

DO NOT USE ALUMINIUM containers and do not let any of the raw soap mixture touch your skin or kitchen surfaces.

The soap is easy to remove from the moulds after allowing to set for twenty four hours.

A cutting tool and guide is not necessary if you don't mind the bars being a bit irregular.

After cutting into bars they should be stored in a cupboard for four to six weeks before using.
The soap will go through a process called saponifacation. 
(to saponify - the hydrolysis of fat by an alkali with the formation of a soap and glycerol.)
Allow air to circulate between the pieces while aging as in the photo above.

 I always enjoy reading Nanna Chel's wide range of soap recipes on her blog "Going Grey and Slightly Green"
She is the queen of experimentation, using unusual and colourful ingredients.  Check out some of her  soap making blog posts for knowledge and inspiration.

So why not have a go at making your own soap? Once you've done it once you will want to keep going.
Do you already make your own soap/shampoo bars? What are your favourite ingredients? 

Feel free to ask any questions, no matter how 'silly' you may think they are.  I can't promise to have all the answers, but between us, we will work it out.

My supplies are running low, so a soap making session is on the calendar for next week.

Cheers,

Sally XX









12 comments:

  1. I always find it fascinating, reading about how people make soap. One day I might try it myself. I like the idea of repurposing old drink containers, as a soap mould. I tend to buy Liz's soaps in bulk, once a year. I also purchase her beeswax, for the coconut oil cream I make regularly. I love having someone in South-East Queensland supply these materials. :)

    Anyway, I enjoyed reading about your experience with soap making, and especially how it's used as a shampoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you can't go wrong with purchasing Liz's beautiful soaps Chris. XX

      Delete
  2. I make all our household and laundry soap and liquids. I have done this since my son was 15. He turns 30 next year. I too started making soap using Rhonda's recipe.I am not an expert as I tend to stick to what works for me. I do make shampoo bars using the Nerdy Housewife recipes. These have more of the softening oils in them and work for us. Over the years silicone moulds have been picked up at op shops and I have been gifted a loaf mould and crinkle cutter as a gift. I have clays for colour and soap fragrance oils. I am gearing up to make a batch of soap that will be well cured and ready for Christmas gifting. I enjoy soap making and knowing what we are using on our skin and for cleaning our home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda really started an avalanche of soap makers Jane and you sound much more advanced in the skill than I am. I wonder if she ever had any idea of how widespread her informative blog instructions would become.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sally, thanks for sharing, I love seeing how others make their soap! I recently did my first batch of all-tallow soap from Liz's comprehensive ebook and was surprised at how white the soap is compared to my usual olive / coconut oil soap. (I was able to buy tallow from my local organic farmer when I bought a quarter of beef, so that was great :) Can't wait to try it once it's cured.
    Great idea about the opshop stainless steel pan for mixing the lye, thanks. I've already lost one pyrex jug to lye but thought it was just because it was an old one - better change vessels before it happens again! I'll just have to make sure it's stainless steel, not aluminium but should be able to pick something up pretty easily.
    Cheers
    Sally at One Family, One Planet blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sally, thanks for leaving your lovely words. I just love using repurposed items And utensils, saving money and lessening the impact of landfill.

      Delete
  4. i haven't made any soaps for some time, my few attempts kept failing, sort of; there was so much oil seeping out of the bars/loaf that i just left them alone & wrapped up, was a few months when i checked them & they looked absolutely ghastly but they were finally dry, so i tried one out in the shower, wow, it was amazing, such a rich lather & silky soft skin afterwards, no good for gifting but totally usable! they lasted quite awhile, am finally out of soap & had to source some out from the local P.O. all hers are scented but found my favourite which is Lemon Myrtle.
    my daughter makes a lovely rosemary soap that i love using on my hair.
    i'll probably get back into making my own again at a later time, when i'm a bit more focused & i can get the caustic soda;
    loved Rhonda's plain soap recipe, had the best results with that one.
    great post
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Selina the rosemary fragrance sounds lovely, and as it's good for the memory I'm going to add rosemary infused oil to the next batch of soap. Better get some infusing in olive oil right now.

      Delete
  5. Sally I missed this post for some reason. I am looking forward to experimenting with hollyhocks soon as my plant is going to flower soon. Jan Berry had some recipes in a recent newsletter. Your soap is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what you do with hollyhocks Chel.

      Delete
  6. Soap making is still on my "to try list". I would love to make some well before Christmas so I can use as gifts. I really must give it a go.

    Thank you Sally for the tutorial, your soap looks great and I like that you didn't need fancy soap moulds! I have some of those moulds here :)

    Having a catch up on my favourite blogs as I have been missing again for a little while, life is like that sometimes.

    xTania



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slightly envious of your camping galivantings Tania. There's nothing that can beat those big skies at night, way out there in the outback. Welcome back home. Do have a go at making some soap, it's not so difficult, but concentration is necessary and definitely no children or interruptions. I usually find ways of adapting equipment needed for any task, and saving the need to outlay dollars on something that might only be a once-of experiment. But after using our own soaps for body and hair washing, I could never go back to shop bought soap.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...