Thursday 2 April 2020

Every Day Feels Like Sunday

....but without Landline (ABC TV)  at lunchtime.


We are well into week three of self isolation and every day is like Sunday.
With no structure to my weeks, library volunteering, visiting elderly friends, shopping, meeting friends for coffee, and visitors, each day flows into the next. As a self confessed introvert I'm rather enjoying it.
We're both busy with our work here on the farm,  and never before in my sixty four years have I valued our lifestyle, growing our food, as we do right now.
 Brian is finding isolation more difficult than I am, which is to be expected.  Just three months into "retirement" and transitioning from his previous sociable work life to this one.
And what a transition it must be!
Into this new territory that is affecting the global population in ways we could never imagine.

However, we are counting our blessings. There is so much for which to be thankful.

Never before have we felt this intense value of all that surrounds us, the ability to live well for as long as it takes without the need to buy anything from a shop.

With well stocked pantry, cellar and freezers there was no need to go into a state of panic bulk buying when I last did my fortnightly shopping. I did buy an extra packet of tea and ground coffee though.
Now into week three; the packet of potato crisps, the bag of mixed nuts, the Aldi block of chocolate and the tub of icecream are memories of the past.
All luxury items that we can well do without. However we are not feeling deprived of anything - the wine cellar is well stocked - and with this challenge we're probably eating better than ever, to be perfectly honest.

 Garden pickings for our daily juice. Necessary to maintain immunity.

Daily routines for healthy mind, body and soul.

This morning I was able to gift some butter to one of my young friends who is five months pregnant. She is finding it difficult to find butter in the shops, along with all the other shortages.
 The round of cheddar remains maturing in the fridge.

 My days are busier now that I'm using all of my homesteading skills to produce all that we eat from scratch. 
Making our ice-cream was one of those jobs that slipped off my schedule these past couple of years. The flavour is far superior to the shop bought stuff because I'm using our own cream, milk, honey and eggs.
My ice-cream recipe would probably read something like this;

First milk your cow,
Put milk through the separator.
Chill cream whilst washing all thirty something parts of the separator, feeding the poultry  and collecting the eggs.

 The Barossa Valley has been locked down since last week owing to a spike in Covid-19 cases. All tourist related, and some community cases as a result. 
All non-essential travel between the towns of Angaston, Nuriootpa, Tanunda and Greenock has been discouraged.
With this in mind it was an easy decision to close the Farmgate Stall. Our last day of trade on Monday was a record breaker as I had notified our supporters via the Facebook page giving them one final day's notice in order to stock up on our produce and honey. I was kept busy all day restocking the shelves and pouring honey into more tubs and jars.
Closing up this funny little stall at the end of day was sad, but it's just for awhile.  However, I felt a new calm, less anxiety and an acceptance of this quiet time ahead, just Brian and I, comfortable and deeply grateful to have all that we need to survive the duration.

Eating well with what we grow. 
Eggs, milk, honey...
Bread and Butter Pudding baked in the wood oven and served with baked apples from our abundant harvest. 

We don't know when we will enter a shop again so I'm using my most frugal living skills to stretch  out shop bought supplies to last as long as possible. 
Used tea bags can be used a second time to make a pot of chai for two.

Ginger, turmeric, cloves and a cardamom leaf. 
If you don't grow cardamom a couple of pods will do. I keep ginger and turmeric (from our garden) in the freezer and scrape off what I need with a knife. 

Simmer spices in 1 cup of water and 1 cup of milk with 2 used teabags (for two cups of chai) allow flavours to infuse for five minutes before straining into cups. Stir in honey or sweetener of choice.
Save the spices in the pot, and keep in the fridge.  You will get another two lots of chai before the flavours become too weak. Replace teabags with another used tea-bag or two for each batch of chai.



Without focusing too much on Covid-19, (I'm becoming information fatigued are you?) I think it's really useful to document our experiences during this surreal time.
I hope to spend a bit more time writing and sharing some of the frugal things we're doing with a positive outlook.
Not only is it allowing us to stay away from shops and people, we're not spending any money either.
As self funded retirees, too young to get aged pension and not eligible for a pension when we are old enough, our superannuations have taken a severe hit. Fortunately we were prepared for a financial down time and we're confident the stock market will come back eventually. We don't qualify for any of the stimulus packages and government assistance. We will be living close to the bone for the foreseeable future and all I can see are the positive challenges ahead.

"Fear is contagious, but so are faith, hope and love"

Take care. Stay home. Be kind.

Sally XX







 












15 comments:

  1. As much as CV is scary and real the benefits for the entire world is connecting with your immediate family and doing things that you never got around to doing because you were too busy. Not something we would wish upon the world in order for people to slow down however it will be one of the benefits of home confinement. Quality food is important and if you grow food even better. I have a small veggie garden however I am now supporting a "spray free veggies" family business with delivery to my front door. I know the planet will love not having the air pollution of planes and all the extra cars on the road as people work from home. Facing inwards if you can is not going to be a bad thing, reading, cooking from scratch. Very grateful to be living in Australia as always. Stay safe. PS..do you have your ice cream recipe I would be interested as I have some cream in the fridge and my kids thought the one I was making was too rich. Regards Kathy, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy we're not alone in these views that perhaps this experience will re-set the way the general population lives. I'm eternally hopeful that some good will come from what the world is going through right now. Regards the ice-cream, perhaps you could thin the cream ratio with a bit of milk to cut the richness back? I'll do a quick post on one of my methods. XX

      Delete
  2. ps....I love Landline on Sundays too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always encouraged by your posts, and attitude. Thank you. Frugal life styles are coming in handing now more than ever. Wish my garden had more to show for it. Holding on to: Hope, faith and love.
    Be well. healthy and safe.
    Patricia/USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always lovely to hear from you Patricia. XX

      Delete
  4. Sally, it must be great to have your own cows for milk and cheese. I noticed in the supermarket today that there was no powdered milk at all. I do miss my friends I used to meet up with but this will pass eventually of course. I too wasn't going to write about the virus on my blog but then thought it would be good to document what changes it is making to the way we live that will be interesting to read down the track. I am trying to get my veggie garden up and running again after our dreadful summer but it is too hot to be outside too much. Tomorrow is going to be 29C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chel I think the future generations will be hungry for any documentation of this history making time. I do really feel for all those folks who are confined to their homes. I'm constantly grateful to be in a very fortunate position here with plenty to do inside and outside, now that our temps have dropped to low 20's. Hopefully autumn will arrive in your area soon. XX

      Delete
  5. That is a beautiful piece of writing which makes beautiful reading. We need to pop out for a bit this morning but I am very pleased with what we can feed ourselves with at home. I followed Rhonda's suggestion a while back regarding a stockpile cupboard and very happy with myself. We have tomatoes coming out of every corner of the garden it seems and some other vegetables as well. I miss family hugs and visiting coffee hubs but like you, I am a self-confessed introvert and this all suits me quite well. I honestly believe that somewhere, somehow, in some prophecy of something or rather that this was most probably meant to happen so that we could reorganise our world properly. My thoughts and like you and many others, I truly appreciate every day. Take care, stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your generous words Brigie. I'm in total agreement with you, the Universe is showing us what we needed to know. XX

      Delete
  6. What a great post!

    A lesson for us all to become more self sufficient in these times of trial.

    I am loving staying at home and refreshing my skills and learning new ones. I haven't felt much like blogging, but like you say it would be good to document what we are doing during this time. Frugality will be the norm for now, and maybe into the future too. Right now we don't know what lies ahead, so living each day is all we can do. Today I baked sourdough loaves and made a chocolate cake recipe from the depression years.

    I am setting up more garden beds to grow veggies. This is a job I will be doing this weekend. We had some old galvanised beds here, so I have relocated them and just need to fill up with soil and plant seeds.

    Homemade ice-cream is the best. My mum used to do that on the farm. She still has her separator and I guess one day I will inherit it. I have been juicing too and going for walks in the morning to help boost my immune system. It was a bit low in my last blood test.

    Your bread and butter pudding looks so farm fresh and delicious! One of my favourite desserts.

    Phil's super has taken a big hit too! Hopefully it will pick up again before he retires.

    Take care and stay well Sally and Brian.

    xTania



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tania, lovely to hear from you. I'm looking forward to your next blog post to see your new garden beds. Your gardens are a real inspiration. We have planted our brassicas and loads of extra vege seeds, hoping we can share our excess. I hope you're getting some of this rain. XX

      Delete
  7. Sally you and Brian show that modern homesteading is alive and well. Bluey and I are lucky we have a productive garden here in our suburban yard. We are getting most of our greens out of the garden and are able give our neighbours the excess. Our neighbours love to trade so we have received eggs and fresh caught fish. I love the over the fence economy that we have going on here. Bluey is working on his beloved mantruck and I am happily crafting away. Stay safe and have an extra spoonful of the bread and butter pudding for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane the trade economy is absolutely the best. We're always up for a trade, especially now that we're not shopping. You received protein for your veges, it doesn't get any better than that. XX

      Delete
  8. I chuckled about every day being like a Sunday except without landline. The other week Grant spent an hour waiting for landline to be uploaded online to watch it, while growing increasingly frustrated that it wasn't there.....until I reminded it him it was actually still Saturday. Ha!

    You are in such a wonderful position to ride the tide of this disaster Sally, your resilience is simply inspiring. Life will be close to the bone for so many of us, at least we have the skills to cope and make money stretch even though its difficult.

    I love your ability to see through the challenges of this and find satisfaction and beauty in your home.

    much love to you both, and give the dogs a pat for me!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Landline is the one marker in my weeks right now Emma.. lol I'll trade you the dog pats for an Elsie virtual cuddle. XXX

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...