Thursday 4 February 2016

Catching Up

A few days respite from the summer heat so you might guess what's going on here in my kitchen. If  the temperature is going to be below 24C, you can lay even money this little baby will be alight and cooking up everything I can possibly fit in the oven and on the top.
Peach and rhubarb jam is bubbling along nicely in the big pot, with a saucepan of beetroot picked from the garden this morning, a big pot of stew for the dogs, the kettle on for a cuppa, and small cakes in the oven.

Made a plain cake batter with some sour cream I found at the back of the fridge, mixed in some cinnamon, folded through chopped fresh peaches, sprinkled the tops with raw sugar.

I watched them rise through the oven door...... and then watched them sink.  Not looking like a magazine food shot, but I can attest to their delicious-ness.
I may have eaten one too many with a cup of tea.

The farm gate stall is stocked with seasonal produce, jams, sauces, chutneys and eggs. Quite the busy little place lately.

This has to be bragged about. I did some sewing!!
My favorite shorts that I bought at an op-shop for 50cents nearly five years ago are showing signs of wear.  Really, wouldn't you think they would last a bit longer than that? ;-)
I set up my sewing machine and really needed to take a lot of deep breaths to remain calm and in control of the situation. Slowly, I started sewing with zig-zag stiches until I felt confident and then there was no stopping me.
I used to sew clothes for myself and young daughters back in the late 70's and 80's. It's hard now to think I could have ever done that, but I'm planning on having a go at another random patchwork bed cover for my newest grand daughter Clover. Her big sister Isla received my first attempt at a patchwork bed cover when she was born three years ago. I want them both to have a Granny's bed cover as an heirloom to take with them through their lives.

 Yesterday's Plumcot jam. Labelled and ready to go into the farm-gate stall and into the outlet shops. I use donated and collected re-cycled jars for the farm-gate sales, but the jams that are sold in outlet shops are put into new jars.
I need to finish off writing the weights on these outlet shop jars, plus a small sticker with a "use by" date.
No prizes for guessing where it's cheapest to buy this jam?

 I never take it for granted that most meals we eat are almost completely from what we grow here on our small farm.  Last night's dinner of fillet steak, sausages, zucchini, and tomatoes cooked on the barbeque. (We bought the gas)
Beetroot and potato bake cooked in and on the wood stove.
All ingredients grew here except for the rice that we used to make the sausages. That makes me feel very satisfied that the hard work is worth every sore muscle.
It's a week since I last watered the vegetable gardens as the soil is holding onto the moisture with this cooler and humid weather. I LOVE it, but warm days are coming up again.
How many days until Autumn?
Cheers for now. :)



10 comments:

  1. Oh look at that stove of yours!! It looks beautiful! All go go go in your kitchen by the sounds. Our wood stove needs its internal box replaced. We need to get searching for one before winter I think. :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only a certain type of person who love a kitchen wood stove. I eyed yours with delight the first time I saw a pic of your kitchen. So pleased to hear that it will remain in your kitchen. If the kitchen is the heart of the home, the wood stove is definitely the soul. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh but yours has three doors, and a MUCH bigger fire box, my fire box is tiny! I have wood fire envy!

      Ours will most certainly be used when its back in working order. winter is my favorite cooking season, though Im only just getting the hang of my vintage electric stove, haha!

      xx

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic cooker. So much delicious food you make and grow on your farm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a very satisfying and humbling feeling eating a full meal home grown. Oh to have a slow combustion wood stove. My mum still has one in Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm an average cook but I guess one can't go wrong making simple food from good produce Zena. And Maria, my slow combustion stove is my pride and joy. Definitely the soul of our home.

      Delete
  4. Looks like good food! Great to see the email subscription on your sidebar (was it there before?) anyway, I added Pete's email address so he can see what you're up to, he's going to love the bees and the butchering and the cows in particular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh Liz, Pete could tell me a thing or two about cows. ;)

      Delete
  5. I love your stove, Sally. We had a wood stove but it got holes in it and it hasn't been replaced. We had one when I was growing up in the 1950s and we didn't have hot water in the kitchen nor in the bathroom for that matter as we had a chip heater there. LOL! Mum did the most fabulous baking in our old wood stove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely memories that you have Nana Chel. I have to bake a birthday cake tomorrow, and as it's too hot to light the wood stove, it will be cooked in the gas oven. Everyone will notice the difference!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...