Tuesday 30 January 2018

Zucchini (Courgette) Time Again

Beautiful fresh zucchinis (courgette) are starting to pile up on the bench and in the fridge so it was time to make relish.
First, I must say that we try very hard to eat our garden produce in its most natural and nutritious state of rawness (first choice) or lightly cooked.  We're enjoying zucchini sliced in  tossed salads, chopped in coleslaw, lightly cooked in garlic butter, in our fresh juice with carrot and apple, in quiches, frittata, lasagne, zucchini and walnut cake.... but still they keep building up.
I did a search through my old posts to find Zucchini Relish and within just over one hour there are no zucchinis left in the fridge and a dozen jars of relish cooling on the table.
I've made a couple of changes to the recipe though, adding some coriander seeds and some salt, which I have amended on the original post.
So if life gives you lemons, make lemonade; but if life gives you zucchinis...well you know what you can do.
Wishing you a long and fruitful zucchini season..Ha! That's all very well to say now, but it's just the beginning of what looks like a bumper year for the humble zucchini. Ask me again in another month and my words may likely be uttered through my teeth.
Cheers X

14 comments:

  1. lucky you can grow them, i put in several seeds but they didn't grow!
    awesome vegetable, so versatile!
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Selina, if Kilkivan is on the dry side during summer, then you should be able to grow them. Best to start the seeds in egg containers first, and plant out after they have at least four leaves.

      Delete
  2. Well, I am glad Selina had problems with her zucchinis too as I keep hearing about everyone else having a bumper crop and mine are hardly producing any after a good start before the heat began. Some have blossom end rot which I need to address of course. Some people are freezing them to use in soups in winter. I have the sum total of ONE in the fridge at the moment. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had blossom end rot on ours too, all our plants were ripped out before Christmas when I finally gave up on them. I had heard everyone in our area was having the same problem. I'd love to be having a glut of zucchinis just about now.

      Delete
  3. No zucchinis here:( Don't know what went wrong, cucumbers are happy though! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I wish I was your neighbour! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luuuurve anything zucchini. We at the moment have an overabundance of golden nugget pumpkins. Oh, and tomatoes. We look forward to it but must plant more zucchini next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brigie two zucchini plants would probably be enough for the average family, but we have gone a bit overboard with four!! Oooh golden nugget pumpkins are gorgeous.

      Delete
  6. I must be the only person who has never grown zucchini
    (or any squash) successfully. I have everything they could
    possibly desire (sun, good soil, bees) and...nothing.
    This years plants have yet again been ripped out and gone
    to compost heaven after doing absolutely nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you to you all who have taken the time to leave a comment. Gosh, I wish I could send you all some of our zucchinis. I'm now thinking that, as most of your comments are from Queensland friends, perhaps the zucchini is not suited to your climate. It is, after all, a Mediterranean plant, and the South Australia climate is close to that of the Med. Any humidity will cover our plants with downy mildew, seriously debilitating the entire plant, unless we spray with Casuarina tea or a weak milk and water solution at the first sign of mildew. For Blossom end rot I'm not sure what to do for that as we've never experienced it in our zucchinis. In finishing it needs to be said that, as you were blessed with the Queen of fruits (mango), I think you're still definite winners even if you can't grow zucchinis. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just this morning, I have made a batch of your lovely zucchini relish after being gifted a big zucc yesterday. It is a fabulous recipe and it turned out beautifully. It is sweet and spicy and I can't wait to try it on a ploughman's platter with some corned beef, cheese and crusty bread!
    Thank you for sharing the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joolz I lost you from my side bar during a re-jig that went wrong,:-( but here you are again and will be reinstated ASAP. Glad you liked the recipe, too easy isn't it?

      Delete
  9. Every year we over plant Zuch's. You think we would learn hey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well your'e not the only ones who do that Phil. We always over plant because you just never know if they will all survive, that's my excuse anyway. ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...