Tuesday 12 March 2019

Pork For a Year

It was a public holiday here on Monday so, after the morning farm work was finished we got stuck into the big job of cutting up and processing the two huge pigs that hung in our cold room for a week.
As luck happened we had fleeting visitor who snapped a few photos for us.


The meat saw is a dangerous piece of equipment so full concentration is needed and strict safety rules apply.


We work as a team. Each has their position and knows what to do. We use a few basic cuts to quarter the carcass and then decide which cuts we will make (chops, ribs, roasts)  as we go along.
I load the meat into crates and boxes, and place them back into the refrigerated cold room until we have finished cutting up all of the meat.

I don't know how we used to manage before we built this cold room. It makes life much easier now that we can keep it cold for as long as it takes to carry a box at a time into the kitchen to pack the meat in meal size portions.

For two days I meticulously packed and vacuum sealed the portions of meat.  I don't find it a difficult or unpleasant job. Time consuming, but certainly not a chore. I think about all of the meals we will enjoy together, and with family and friends over the next year.
 Last week I wrote here that I was doubtful all of this meat would fit into the available spaces in our three freezers.
This morning I finished packing and freezing and gave a huge sigh of relief  as I closed the lids on all three freezers packed full to the brim.
The pork belly pieces are in their buckets of brining solution for nitrate fee bacon.
Next weekend Brian will fire up the old wood smoker where the pieces will be slow smoked for 24hrs.

Guess what we ate for our evening meal last night?  Pork loin chops on the barbeque.
Mmm mmm so good!

And what a stroke of luck. The temperature will be cool enough to light the wood stove tomorrow so there will be roast pork with the family tomorrow night.

Does life get any better?





10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful haul ! I've been vego for 14 years but still remember the cooking smell and sweet succulent taste of homegrown pork....nothing like shop bought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the last time we will grow pigs so we will savour each pork meal over the next 12 moths or so. I can't think where we will buy pork from in the future as lots of small free range ethical pig growers are finishing up around here.

      Delete
  2. wow what a job & very envious of all that pork! would love to do my own meat, will one day.
    caught up with your previous post as well, wow you process a lot of fruit! all so yummy! i need to learn how to 'can' so i can stock up my pantry with home grown too.
    great reading
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Selina we are very lucky to have the opportunity to grow and process our meat and most of our food. As for preserving fruit, it is very simple and perhaps I need to write a tutorial on how to do it. I don't use Fowlers and all the expensive equipment these days, although I used to when younger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally that meat saw is indeed a piece of very dangerous equipment. I used to know a butcher who was missing a few fingers thanks to one. Thank goodness you are so careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chel there's no room for any lapses in concentration, that's for sure. I usually don't allow any onlookers in the meat room while we're cutting up, and this time just a few photos and he was out again.

      Delete
  5. Bluey is very impressed and would gladly move in with you. Sorry but the very smell of pig brings on a gagging reflex. However the meat looks really good and I am so glad you were able to fit it all in the freezers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goat cheese and goat milk has that effect on me Jane. This Pork is very rich and Brian did slightly overdo his consumption that evening. Should last us for ages now that it's all vac sealed and fitting nicely in the freezers. Just tell Bluey that it tastes pretty ordinary, and he wouldn't like it at all. ;-)

      Delete
  6. Sally that all looks amazing! And I love fatty pork, I find it has so much flavour compared to the super lean work we have become accustomed too. I bet yours is deliciously marbled and tender!

    Home made bacon....goodness I'm jealous! LOL So glad you managed to fit all of that home grown goodness into your freezer!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma I'll never forget years ago, Maggie Beer looked at our pigs in their yard one day and I asked her if she thought they were too fat. "FAT IS FLAVOUR" she said, and I have to agree with her. There's always a use for the fat and rendered lard too as it's actually a healthy fat due to being fed a grain free diet. Omega 3's aplenty. :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...