Thursday 7 March 2019

That Panicky Feeling

I'm in a bit of a pickle. Well, it's certainly a first world dilemma for sure.

This harvest season has, as usual, produced a glut of peaches, apricots, plums, nectarines, cucumbers and tomatoes. I've made more batches of sauce, jams and preserves than I care to count during the heat of summer on a gas ring positioned on top of my old wood stove. The heat and smells escape up the chimney.  The price of gas adds to my costs though, so I had a brilliant idea of preparing the fruit (wash and cut) and bagging in 2 kg lots to store in one of the freezers.
The freezers are running anyway, full of beef, lamb, chickens, dog food, baked goods, cream, bread, cakes and pre-cooked meals, so there was to be no extra power cost to store the fruit in this way.
As soon as the cooler weather arrives I planned to gradually cook it up on the wood stove, saving on power costs. Our firewood costs us nothing.

 
 The pigs have been growing along nicely and I expected to have them butchered at the end of this month (March). During which time we would have eaten down enough of the freezer contents to fit two large pigs. I also would have cooked up much of the frozen fruit on the much anticipated  cooler autumn days.

Last weekend however, the pigs started chewing on the electric fence wires that prevent them from digging out of their enclosure yard and paddock. Brian checked all the fittings and wire strands to find where it might be shorting out. Nothing seemed to be amiss. We searched for where there may be a fault and then it dawned on us that our solar electric pig fence unit had died.
We were able to borrow a similar solar unit for twenty four hours, and first thing on Monday morning I booked the pigs into the nearest abattoir. Fortunately their "pig day" was on the following day (Tuesday) and they had a vacancy for ours to be processed.   So, on Monday after Brian returned from work, we loaded them onto the trailer for their little ride to the abattoir.
This wasn't our plan. We had planned to butcher them here so there would be no stress for them. It was awful dropping them off in the yards, in a strange place, for someone else to take the responsibility for killing our food. It felt like we betrayed them. It felt like a cop out.

 They were killed on Tuesday and on Wednesday (yesterday) I drove to the abattoir to collect the carcasses. We always hang them for a week in our own cool room before cutting them into the portions and cuts that we prefer. (We also know that (a) we're getting our own animals and (b) getting ALL of the meat.)

I guess I had underestimated their size while they were still running around on all four trotters.
They weighed a whopping 112 kilograms each! With slightly more of a fat layer than I'd have preferred, but looking good nonetheless.

So here's the thing.

On Monday we will cut them up and pack them for the freezer... but how will they all fit in?

 I asked the Universe for a couple of cool days, and she graciously complied.
The wood stove pumped on for a full two days and I threw everything at her.

Two big batches of tomato sauce cleared all of the the bags of frozen tomatoes.
A big pot of dog's stew got rid of one big bag of kangaroo meat.
Three big batches of apricot jam put a small dent in the bags of apricots.
One batch of peach and rhubarb jam cleared two bags of peaches and one bag of chopped rhubarb.
  In the oven, throughout the two days, went various dishes of peaches and apricots poached in honey, then spooned into hot jars, lids screwed on tight, and sealed for keeping in the cellar.

 Three batches of butter cleared out three tubs of cream.

But then, from the butter, there was buttermilk, so two batches of buttermilk muffins asked to be baked. These have chopped apple and mixed dried fruit. 
Some for Brian's morning smoko's and a few for a sick friend.

The weather is returning to high 20's and 30's for the remaining week. Too hot for the wood stove, so frozen bags of fruit will continue to be preserved on the gas ring every day until the big pig processing day on Monday. 
I'll do it. I know I will. There WILL be space to fit ALL of this delicious pork.

I'm still feeling a tad panicky though.

Cheers,
Sally XX










22 comments:

  1. What a problem to have, Sally. LOL! You will have a lot of lard for soapmaking that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aagh don't remind me Chel. I've still got lard from the last pigs we did two years ago. I wish you were closer, I'd chuck a bit your way. X

      Delete
  2. Wow, just wow!
    Patricia Fl/USA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I lived close by, I'd come and help for sure! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could help by eating some of this food Cheryl, but you'd have to cook it .... ;-)

      Delete
  4. I loved how you asked the universe for some cooler days for you to get your cooking done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sally, you are a machine!

    Such an inspiration, all that you do is just incredible.

    I love visiting you in your kitchen, we always have so much to talk about, I cherish our friendship we have ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking that zucchini off my hands Stacey, now I don't have to cook or preserve it. Every bit helps.. lol

      Delete
  6. Uh oh! Now I feel guilty for sending that email a few minutes ago. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes.! I might be burning the midnight oil Rhonda. Ha, that's why the electric light was invented. ;-)

      Delete
  7. Hahaha, you are so funny 😄. We are on a little holiday at the moment but reading your blog is making me homey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Brigie, I'm the same when I go on holiday. Can't wait to get away, but then think about getting home and the baking I'm going to do.

      Delete
  8. Pigs are the naughtiest of all farm animals. They just love to get out of their yards and root through and destroy gardens. I dont eat pork but do love ham and bacon and pea and ham soup. The kids and Bluey loved the pork and the crackling. Oh my goodness that weight is a huge amount of pork. You are going to be ever so busy with all the fruit and then all the cutting up and bagging of your pork cuts. I wish you all the very best and hope you get some cooler weather to achieve it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most difficult of livestock to confine that's for sure Jane. The cutting up will be a breeze with the big butcher's meat saw, dangerous but no one has lost a finger...yet! In comparison to our early days of pork processing, it's much less hassle now, having our cool room and I can pack over two days if I need to. The vacuum sealing is the time consuming part, but well worth it.

      Delete
  9. Wow, that is a busy week of preserving etc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be a huge sigh of relief when it's all done and the pork is packed away Julie.

      Delete
  10. The dramas of abundance, but it came from your own garden and efforts, so it's not like it just showed up on a supermarket shelf, lol. This is a legitimate stress in my books. You're taking responsibility for the growing, harvesting AND preservation. And they're all merging together at the same time.

    I know it will be worth it afterwards though, especially if those crops don't produce well in the following years. You'll remember the stress of all that cooking, but be ever so grateful you did it. Good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonight I've finished my sixth batch of jam in three days, fifth batch of butter, and many many jars of preserved fruits Chris. Only the two big bags of nectarines to go... tomorrow! Then it's pig cutting up time, and will all that pork fit? These are the last pigs I'll grow for our table, so I'll pack it well and it will last us a year of eating. And next year there will be no need to preserve at all, the cellar is bursting already...lol XX

      Delete
  11. Oh Sally! You definitely have your work cut out for you! Remember "just keep swimming..." :-)
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly right Kelly. It has to be done so I soldier on. Looking forward to holiday next month though. :) XX

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...