Friday 12 April 2019

Friday.. And No Calf Yet


 What's going on Lavender? I took this photo 288 days ago when you and Mulga Bill were definitely up to something.
The gestation time for you bovine creatures is 283 days so would you please tell that calf to get a hurry on.
This is all I'll say on the subject right now.

 In other news.... Goldie has begun to lay.

I'm leaving them in the nest and a new egg is added each day. I'm going to let her sit on them when she thinks there are enough. How many will she lay before she starts sitting?

Dad rooster is a fine looking fellow with the attitude of one very much larger. In fact, he has become very protective lately and attacks my leg every morning when I let them out of their shed. If I was wearing shorts my legs would be badly scratched so this is not a good habit for him to have. Therefore, if it continues he will need to be dispatched just as soon as we can replace him with another rooster. I haven't yet found a suitable name for him, and perhaps that's the reason why. 

Brian has two cage fox traps down in the paddock below the poultry yards. Yesterday morning another fox was trapped.  There are five dead foxes hanging from the fence now and the trap has been set again with a roadkill rabbit as bait.

The nights have been cold this week and the days cool enough for the kitchen wood stove to be burning all day. Lots of cooking and baking has been happening. 
I love sourdough baking and although we eat a very small amount of bread, I can't stop making it. Fortunately there are enough people who will take them off my hands each day for $7 per loaf through the Farmgate stall at our front gate.  

The Farmgate stall through the eyes of one of our visitors who kindly sent me this photo.

The morning rush hour.  
A motley looking bunch, but it's not their looks we care about. These are destined for the freezers, just as soon as I can make some space between the beef, pork, lamb, bone broth and other necessary flotsam that cannot be chucked out. 

A few jars of Mulberry Jam made from some berries taking up space in the freezer.  
Oh dear, the skanky old fly swatter steals the show in the background but I can't be without it at present. The flies!!!  It must be the change in the season. Warm days, cold nights, they just want to get inside the house.
We will be here all weekend waiting for a calf and building the new deck. 
This project has snowballed into a major undertaking. Brian has it all under control but I'm quite hopeless at imagining how it will look and, to make matters worse, I've been given the task of searching the salvage yards for the windows! Help!! Measurements and me don't mix so it should be interesting. 
Wherever you are, and whatever you're doing I hope you enjoy a peaceful weekend. 
Cheers,
Sally

11 comments:

  1. Does Lavender look pregnant? Do cows usually deliver on time? Normal size chooks usually like 11 eggs in their nest before they settle in, I'm not sure if bantams are the same.

    We've had all the grandkids here for the past two days and we're ready for a rest now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly looks huge Rhonda and I can see the calf moving about, but with paddock mating, there can never be an exact insemination date. They can go over their due date so we just need to be patient. You'll be in recovery ward after your hectic two days with grandkids, but how wonderful that you're able to have them. I'm so jealous.

      Delete
  2. Your sourdough bread looks amazing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. I was very slow at mastering the art of sourdough, but now that I have, I just want to bake it every day that is cool enough for the wood oven.

      Delete
  3. Sally, I hope the calf comes soon so you can 'relax' whatever that means when you have a little calf to look after :-) All the best with the measurements...I would be hopeless at that job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm more excited than anything Chel. A new calf is always such a joy, and if all goes well, Lavender will be the one doing all the looking after of her baby. I'm about to take myself off on a holiday... lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. hope everything is okay with Lavender & her calf, hope she has an easy birthing, fingers Xd!
    a lovely photo of your farm gate! ohhh how i miss those farm stalls that used to be; don't see them anymore (not that i drive anywhere these days)
    glad the work shops went well too, all looking good.

    awww wish i had a wood stove, how i miss not having one! they are so warm & cozy!
    great posts
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Selina we're still waiting for this elusive calf, but it will appear one day. Maybe I messed up with my dates? Oh well, she's doing well, and all of her previous calves have been trouble free births. XX

      Delete
  6. I'm late, but now have the time to finally catch up with my favourite blogs. I hope the wait was not too much longer, for you and sweet Lavender. I imagine you'll be buys milking, as work continues on the deck. What a lovely development for your home. A place to sit outside, under cover, without the need to actually do anything there.

    Sheer luxury, by the sounds of how busy you are, with everything else in your life. I had to dispatch a Pekin splash rooster, the same colour as yours, because he was aggressive in the same way. I wonder if it's a genetic trait with that strain of colour - because I've never met a black or blue, pekin rooster than was aggressive. Real cuddle monkeys, actually.

    Anyway, fingers crossed, all went well with Lavender. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops...typo.

      I imagine you'll BE milking. Forget the "buys" part, because that won't be necessary, lol.

      Delete
    2. Oh Chris, so lovely to ready your comment. Yes, I nodded along to all those things you mentioned. I've just sat down to tap out a quick update on the arrival of sweet little Minnie almost a week ago. And how amazing to hear your experience with your splash Pekin rooster. Thanks for sharing that, most interesting indeed. Haha I had a chuckle at your clever (but not intended) reversal of letters. Cheers XX

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...