Sunday 7 April 2019

Sunday - Waiting for a Calf



 Waiting

 Big girl Lavender is a little short tempered during these the last few days of her pregnancy and who can blame her?  She is due to have her calf  tomorrow (Monday) or Tuesday and she is huge, so you can expect my next blog post to be all things cow and calf.

 I won't be going far from here until her calf is safely delivered and suckling well, so we spent the day busily getting on with normal stuff.

 I made a four kilo batch of apricot jam from fruit I had stored in the freezer. 

 
 Do you save the froth that is skimmed off the top of the jam before bottling? Waste not want not, and it is perfectly fine to eat.

 Now that all the events are finished for summer, a renovation has begun. And what a mess!



 Today's view from the kitchen sink. 
Last winter we were given an old wood stove that had fallen into a sad state of disrepair. Brian spent many hours in his workshop shed working on the restoration, while we pondered where to install it.  What was going to be a small job of placing it onto the deck as part of our outdoor kitchen, has snowballed into a major rebuild. New deck flooring, windows (yes windows), and clear sheeting across the entire deck roof.

A home grown chook baked in the kitchen wood oven for dinner tonight. Those fatty bits cut from the bacon added a delicious smoky bacon flavour to the meat, potatoes and onions cooked in the same pot. Served with zucchini cooked in butter and garlic (we still have a glut) and oven roasted tomatoes (a glut of them too), there's plenty left over for our lunches tomorrow.

Special thanks to Rhonda over at Down to Earth.  I've been fortunate to participate in her latest Writing Workshop and yesterday was our second and final Skype session with three other ladies doing the course.  I have absorbed like a sponge the experience and knowledge she shares so generously.  The course has helped me to look at my writing with more clarity,  motivated me to write more articles for Grass Roots Magazine, and who knows? perhaps a book one day.
If Rhonda intends to facilitate more of these Writer's Workshops, I can highly recommend taking part if you want to start getting serious about your writing.

And now, pulling on coat and boots for one more observation check on the mother in waiting before hitting the pillow.

I hope to have calf news for you tomorrow or Tuesday.

Cheers for now,
Sally XX



15 comments:

  1. I hope all goes well with Lavender! Fingers Crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be her fourth calf Cheryl. Previously fast and easy births with no complications, but I'm not at ease until the calf is suckling unaided. On high alert now. :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh this bought back memories, we would watch for the teats to stick out like a blown up rubber glove, good sign the calf wasn't far off birth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely on the money there. If she follows her usual patterns, her udder will suddenly spring out overnight, like a rubber glove.. whoosh..milk will be dripping, and her calf will arrive later in the day. :-)

      Delete
  3. Much excitement happening at your place right. Look forward to some news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brigie you will certainly here aall about it.. lol

      Delete
  4. I am visualizing relaxing evenings on the deck, after a work day. Wonderful! Looking forward to updates on Ms Lavender. Have a good week, Sally.
    Cheers.
    Patricia fl/USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia we spend a lot of time on this deck, and finally I'm getting it covered over so we can be out there even when it's raining. What better way to watch the rain, with a fire roaring in the old wood stove, maybe a pizza cooking in the oven, and a glass (or two) of good Barossa red wine. I hope your week is shaping up well. XX

      Delete
  5. I was thinking of you today, Sally. Some of our local farmers have been targeted by the animal rights activists and I was hoping you were left alone. They were stressing out the animals by scaring them when they trespassed on their property and the farmers were worried they would go on the road and be hurt as, like you, they love their animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chel I've been seeing footage of those vegan extremists. Our vegan friends are embarrassed to be associated with such dreadful behavior. Those of us who are patiently and quietly lobbying for better and more humane treatment for livestock and farm animals, fear that our efforts will be set back due to the extremist's bizarre illegal actions. I enjoyed the footage of the farmer spraying his liquid manure around the protestors' camp. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Sally, I didn't see that footage. LOL! Our poor farmers don't need this happening to them as they are already trying to keep their heads above water due to the drought.

      Delete
  6. Can't wait to meet Lavender's calf, Sally. I remember seeing a calf being born when I was young. It's a relief when they arrive safely! Dinner in your old wood stove on your deck sounds pretty wonderful to me. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Meg, the calf is still keeping us all waiting. XX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Lavender! Poor girl, I remember those last few uncomfortable grumpy days myself. LOL I cant wait to see her calf.

    Wasn't the writing work shop wonderful? Such a great experience and so helpful. It has made me look far more clearly at my own writing and helped me to see where I can improve it.

    Apricot froth over yoghurt would be delicious!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely to see your face on the Skype sessions Em, and great to meet the other future writers too. I was a bit star struck at first, being on Skype with our author guru Rhonda. XX

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...