Wednesday 6 May 2020

Sourdough Discard - Muffins




I haven't been baking many sourdough loaves lately, but I need to feed my "Mother" occasionally to keep her alive and healthy.  As you know, I never like to waste a thing, so there's a jar of discard (flour and water sourdough)  in the fridge that needs to be used.

When I'm baking sourdough loaves regularly I don't accumulate any discard at all.
Here  is the blog post that explains how to NOT waste flour.

Last time I made Crackers using some of the discard and this morning I felt like making small cakes (or muffins) to put into the Farmgate stall.

As usual, I have adapted the recipe from various ideas and previous bakes, using basic supplies from the fridge and pantry.

Apple and Spice Muffins

1 cup sourdough discard (straight from the fridge or the bench, it doesn't matter)
1.5 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon bi-carb
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
pinch of salt
2 dessertspoons butter melted in 1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup sugar (we don't like them too sweet)
1 egg
1 peeled and chopped apple

 Put sourdough discard in a mixing bowl.  Mix flour, baking powder, and bi-carb together before  adding to the bowl. Add sugar, spices, butter and milk, and stir with a wooden spoon before adding the egg.  Add chopped apple and stir until well combined.
Mixture should be the consistency of cake batter.  Your sourdough discard may be wetter than mine so you may need less milk. 
Spoon into paper muffin cases and bake at 180C for 15 - 18 minutes - turn the tray after the first 10 minutes.
Makes 10 muffins.

These basic muffins can be adapted in lots of ways and variations.
Leave out the apple and use a mashed banana.
Leave out the spices and add berries or cocoa, or choc chips. 
Add dried fruit, dates, dried apricots... the possibilities are endless.


How long will they keep?
If you want to keep some for later, you will need to wrap them well (after cooling) and put into the freezer before anyone sees or smells them.
Unfrozen they will keep for a couple of days in an airtight container and are good for lunch boxes or smoko (morning tea) for the workers.

There's absolutely no reason to throw away flour and water from our sourdough excesses and what good fun it is to discover new ways to use it.

Cheers,
Sally XX











7 comments:

  1. That's a good idea, Sally. I often give some of my starter away as I have friends that seem to kill theirs so I normally only keep a small bottle of it in the fridge. I have two starters and really should dry them as I haven't been making sourdough lately as one of our local bakers make theirs the old way with the starter. Seeing as I haven't yet mastered my newish oven I have been lazy and bought theirs. I really should try again though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chel, for me sourdough baking is a winter thing. Perhaps you will feel more like trying it out in your new oven when the days are much cooler there where you are. I kind've think I should have a houseful of people to eat all of my baking, as we two really don't eat much bread and cake, but then it would feel like a chore and the pleasure would be gone. Fortunately the Farmgate stall customers allow me to indulge my baking fun. XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. This recipe has been added to the files.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll enjoy them too Jane. They've been selling out daily in the Farmgate stall. :-0

      Delete
  4. whew! just caught up with all the posts i missed! for some reason it's not coming up on my side bar when you have posted. thoroughly enjoyed the catch up & so happy to hear you're surviving the COViD19 lock downs, we had to close our sunday markets here & probably won't reopen til spring/summer. our little country town is keeping mostly to itself with most staying in/home; we have a small community garden on the go as well.
    most blogs i read have all been catching up with those jobs they never seem to have time for when working, though i feel for those that have lost their jobs.
    stay safe & well, looking forward to seeing more of the new silver calf too
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selina, I have the same issue with a couple of blogs I follow, and don't know how to fix it. Sorry I can't help, but glad you found me. It's good to hear that you're doing OK in these strange times. XX

      Delete
  5. I do so love apple muffins. Unfortunately, mine have to be gluten free. But I'm always looking through recipes for ideas I can adapt. So thanks for sharing. If you want to experiment yourself, you can sub the butter and milk, for 1/2 cup creamy yoghurt. I found it makes muffins, really moist!! So any recipe that calls for butter (fat) and milk now, I make with yoghurt.

    I like the good amount of cinnamon, you've added. I will have to try this in my own muffins. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...