Monday 15 June 2015

Soda Water Scones

Yesterday was such a busy day here as is usual on most Sundays. The weekends are when we can both get lots of jobs done.
I was half expecting people to drop in for afternoon tea so I whipped up a batch of scones to be at the ready, just in case.
My scones used to be very hit and miss, usually turning out perfectly when there was just us and no one to impress, but just as soon as I was trying to make the perfect scones for guests, well.... you can guess the rest.
I found a perfect recipe that is easy and turns out impressive scones that the harshest critics could not fault. I guess Lemonade scones are no surprise to most of you, but my adaptation of them is now a winner here.
We found them a bit too sweet so I use soda water instead of the lemonade. We never have lemonade sitting around in our cupboards, never drink the stuff, but we do always have soda water on hand.

  Soda Water Scones 

3 cups SR Flour  (or plain flour with Baking Powder added)
1 teaspoon castor sugar
1 cup of cream (a good opportunity to use up that cream that's getting a bit old)
pinch of salt
1 cup soda water
Mix with a knife until the mixture comes together. It may be necessary to add a small bit of milk if the mixture is too dry.
It's important not to over work scones. Just bring it all together, tip onto a lightly floured surface and press out with a "light hand" as my mum would say, to a thickness of approximately 2 cm or 1 inch.
I believe it's best not to use a rolling pin which can overwork the mixture.
Cut out with a scone cutter or a glass dipped in flour after each cut.  Place close together on a baking tray, brush the tops with milk and bake in a hot oven - 200deg - for approx 15 mins or until golden brown and well risen.

Or cut with a knife & spread slightly apart on the baking tray. The latter seems to be the new trend, but who of us is trying to keep up with a trend?  Handy to know though when a scone cutter is not available when staying with friends who don't cook or away on holiday in the caravan and the craving for scones is impossible to ignore.

                            Enjoyed for morning tea with peach jam and Daisy's fresh cream.

I packed the remaining scones, six to a bag, and put in the freezer. They reheat very well.
A few seconds in the microwave and then approximately 5 minutes in a hot oven.
Lucky me, I have the wood oven burning at all times at the ready.





3 comments:

  1. I've never tried scones with soda water, I'll give it a go for sure. Like you I think lemonade,which we rarely have in the house anyway, would be too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea using soda water instead of lemonade to the scone mixture. Will need to try this....thank you for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea using soda water instead of lemonade to the scone mixture. Will need to try this....thank you for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...