Friday 7 August 2015

Packing our Bags

I seem to be the local depot for used jars, and I don't mind one bit.  All of the jars of jams and pickles that are for sale in the Farm Gate stall outside our front gate are in re-cycled jars. We are about being sustainable in every possible way, so the jam jars are just another way that we can re-cycle something that still has a use.
I love it when customers return the jars and here is Cheryl's bag of lovely clean jars. Thanks for the jars and your lovely note Cheryl. So glad you love our honey which you described as "like toffee!"



And now a notice for all of the Farm Gate Stall customers and friends,
I need to let you know that the stall will be CLOSED for THREE WEEKS from Friday 14th August.
Brian is coming to Nepal with me again this year and his assistance and support will be so very much appreciated. The challenges that we will face will be even more difficult than in other years. The Nepali people are living with hardships that I can't even comprehend, since the devastating earthquakes in April this year.
We will once again spend time with patients in two of Kathmandu's poorest hospitals, buying their medicines and providing clothing, food and entertainment by way of small toys for the children. We will visit all of the schools where our young people are studying and will check out the school building project that we are funding from the generous donations received in the past year, and especially since the April earthquakes.


                             
          
                                         A few pics from our last visit to Nepal in 2012

One of the many things I love about the Nepali culture is the way they care for their elderly. It's extremely rare for families to put their aged family members into an aged care home. In fact, such facilities don't really exist. When someone reaches the age of seventy years they are given God status.
I love the way my status has been changing over the past twenty years of my association with Nepal. When I started living there at age forty years I was given Goddess like status and addressed as Didi (older sister) With my long red hair, fashionable clothes and trim figure it was common place to get whistled at in the street.
The last time I was there, aged fifty seven years, with short dyed red hair, I was being called Aunty and definitely the street whistles were a thing of the past.
One of my Nepali "sisters" took me to visit her aging Father who was living with family members a short distance away. Along the way we talked about the cows in the street and during our conversation it was mentioned that my cow at home was producing 30 litres of milk each day.  The local Nepal cows are much smaller and aren't able to produce large quantities of milk.
We reached her family home and were reunited with her elderly father, who upon clapping eyes on me said loudly in Nepali, "She used to be really pretty and wore lipstick. Now she is old and has wrinkles."
My lovely sister, Naradevi, quickly put him in his place by shooting back with, "Well.... her cow gives 30 litres of milk every day!"

Now that I wear grey hair, with pride, I'm wondering what amazing claim to fame I can come up with when meeting the old gentlemen this time.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...