Monday 2 November 2015

Granny's Mayonnaise

Mayonnaise and salad dressings are big business. Yet they are so very easy to make. Not only can we save lots of dollars, we can make them from scratch using real ingredients that most of us have in our store cupboards and pantries.
I haven't bought any salad dressings for many years, but I know there are plenty of weird synthetic ingredients in most of them.

Recipes for every type of salad dressing are at our fingertips if we look on line and in recipe books. Some are more complicated than others.

My family have a favourite that has been passed down from our Granny Opie. It's a creamy style dressing which, when mixed with yogurt, makes a luscious potato salad and is also good in coleslaw. We use it on a tossed salad sometimes instead of vinaigrette, and on sandwiches, especially chicken, and oh, can't forget the good old egg sandwiches.


Granny's Mayonnaise

1/2 cup of sugar
1 dessertspoon plain flour
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup white vinegar

In a double boiler, mix dry ingredients together first.
Using a whisk, stir in the egg, half the vinegar, then half the milk.
Whisk until well blended, then add the remaining milk and vinegar and whisk again.
Whisk gently over heat until mixture thickens and comes to boiling point.
Pour into a jar when it has cooled a little.
Cover and store in fridge.


This is my double boiler. A stainless mixing bowl perched on top of a saucepan of hot water.  When I was younger I would always think, when I saw a recipe using a double boiler, "Oh I can't make that, I don't have a double boiler!"
Ha! I had to learn to be resourceful through need. It works perfectly well and to this day I don't know what a real double boiler looks like.
I always make a double batch of this mayo as it keeps well in the fridge for months and being a lazy cook, it takes the same effort to make double.

Into another jar, mix half Mayonnaise with half yogurt and stir well.
This is a creamy dressing for the most delicious potato salad, coleslaw dressing and for using in  sandwiches etc.

We still call it Granny's Mayo, but I know that Granny never added yogurt when she used it, so we've brought it into the twenty first century with a slight adaptation.

Have you got a family favourite dressing that you always go to?  And how have you adapted it to our times?

Thanks for dropping by and I hope you are motivated to try making mayo from scratch.





6 comments:

  1. I have never seen a cooked mayo recipe before. Only raw eggs, which I make occasionally, but usually doesn't work for me, and then I dont' really know how long to keep it in the fridge.... this looks like a good solution, thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a fool proof mayo, even I managed to make it when I hardly knew how to boil an egg. I love it because I don't always have time to whip up a mayo on the spot. I hope you enjoy it too. :)

      Delete
  2. I use a recipe that I got from an Aussie blogger years ago, so simple and takes only minutes.

    1 Whole Egg
    half teaspoon of salt
    half teaspoon of dry mustard
    2 tablespoons of lemon juice
    250 mls of Light Olive Oil
    ~
    Put ALL ingredients into a jug.
    Whizz with a stick blender for 10 seconds.
    Put into a nice clean jar.
    Enjoy

    But I will give your 'cooked' mayo a go for comparison purpose ... and because I am a secret Mayo addict ;-)

    The rows and rows of flavoured mayos are amazing me at the moment in all the supermarkets. Has no one cottoned on to the fact that you can add a flavour of your own choosing to ordinary mayo for whatever meal you are having and not have to have six different kinds lined up in your fridge all going off at the same time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what I grew up on - Mum called it boiled salad dressing - but if I was stirring it while it cooked she'd say 'dont let it boil!'...otherwise it can curdle.
    I just finished a batch the other day and must make more. I love it in curried eggs and yes, coleslaw! I have never added yoghurt to thicken it but I can see that would work well for potato salad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joolz, my Granny's recipe makes the mayo quite thick and that's one of the reasons I add the yogurt, to thin it down and take away the sweetness, giving it a lighter taste. This recipe must have been popular and called various names. Oh yes, perfect in curried eggs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this recipe, sounds yum!

    xTania

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...