Friday 17 November 2017

Workshop Preparations

 We're having another Bee-keeping for Beginners workshop on Sunday. The weather has turned cool and wet over the past few days, which is perfect for cooking up a storm in the wood oven.
I prefer to bake and prepare as much of the food as possible prior to the day of the event, so that I'm there to participate and interact with the people who are attending.
I've made sausage rolls and pasties, which freeze very well, so all I need to do on the day is heat them up. I'll put together a few sandwiches and rolls on Sunday morning.
Tomorrow (Saturday) I'll prepare the fillings for those, so it's all straight sailing in the early hours on Sunday.
I've got lists and more lists, to remind me of all the little details that can so easily be forgotten. This time I have a big sign on the table to remind me to put out the home made TOMATO SAUCE when the sausage rolls and pasties go out onto the food table.
I forgot to put it out last time!!! Grrr..!
For morning tea I've made Jam Macaroon Slice, and a Pumpkin Fruit Cake is about to go into the oven.
There's coffee, a range of teas, home made lemon cordial, and water to drink.
Oh and a big bowl of apples and bananas.

We'll be opening up boxes, learning about all the ins and outs of keeping a hive, having lots of fun, and networking among the folks.
I've got to mow the grass tomorrow and if there's time, I'll tidy up the garden a bit, but if it doesn't get done it's not the end of the world.  I'm pretty sure that people don't mind looking at a weed here and there.

I needed to send a photo of the gloves I prefer to wear when handling the hives, to some of our visitors who are flying down from Canberra to attend this workshop. 
(Do you reckon it might have something to do with the fact that we live in one of Australia's most popular tourist destinations? )
So, I'll tell you next week about all the fun we had, and I hope you have the weekend that you hope for.
Cheers!


8 comments:

  1. I want to come for the food! Tgat wpuld be worth the trip!

    ReplyDelete

  2. Pumpkin fruitcake sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's simple to make and always a winner Candace. :) I'll post the recipe on here soon.

      Delete
  3. I was about to say the same thing! Although a Barossa wine tour would be good....oh and I would like to learn about keeping bees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy, I'm sure we can arrange all of that if ever you're in our area!!

      Delete
  4. Jam Macaroon Slice, is a new name to me. It's known as Coconut Slice, or Raspberry Slice, in these parts. But your name suits it perfectly, too. As the topping is very similar to making Macaroons.

    Have you ever had a top-bar beehive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The slice, whatever it's called, is a great way to use up all those half jars of jam Chris. Top bar hives aren't popular here in SA, and are not approved by PIRSA. (Primary Industries of SA) All frames inside the hives must be removable for random inspections as a bio security measure so there must be foundation of some type in each frame. Large fines apply for non-conforming apiarists.

      Delete
    2. I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...