Thursday 30 August 2018

Finding Gratitude in the Everyday



It's been trying to rain all morning, and cripes, don't we need it! So I hung the washing out on the line and before I could finish pegging the last pairs of knickers, down it came.
Good..!
The wet washing can hang there for days if that's what it takes.

 It's one of those kind of days when it's a bit warm for a jumper but a bit too cold to shed it completely. It was all very well until I was caught by a customer to the Farmgate stall while I was out there replenishing stock this morning. She looked at me askance whilst remaining polite, and it wasn't until she had made her purchases and driven away that I realised I may have looked slightly more weird than usual.

Even Trevor gave me a sideways glance! ;-)
The Texel rams, Bert and Ernie, have spent a week here in one of our small paddocks near the house, to eat the grass down. Trevor has the role of companion sheep, a gentleman's gentleman, if you will, so it was lovely to have chats and chin scratches with him each day.

Dear Trevor is unrecognizable from the tiny waif lamb that landed in my kitchen a year ago. Back then I promised myself, and the boss farmer, that  he would live a long and gentle life here but only if he would keep his side of the deal, and try his hardest to survive.
His merino wool is of high quality, so he more than pays his keep, which has made it easier to convince the boss farmer to keep him.

 
This is what he looked like then, and here is the story of Trevor 

My view from the kitchen door this morning shows the blossoms in full bloom. Soon our view of the horizon where we watch the sun poke it's way over the hills each morning will be covered by the greenery of the fruit trees and these ornamental pears.  The green leaves of the Glory vine will create more natural shade, so the harsh dry and heat of summer will be a little easier to bear.

Today's sourdough loaves were so enthusiastic they burst out of their crusts. That's the thing with natural wild yeast, you can never predict exactly how the finished product will end up.
I made apologies to one of the buyers, and charged her less than the usual rate. An hour later I received a message from her.
"I'll pay extra for split crust any time. Best loaf I've ever had, reminded me of home."  (USA)
Gosh, that made my day.
Aren't people wonderful?

Well, the wind is howling and my washing is probably across at the neighbour's paddock by now.

I hope you're also the recipient of a lovely word or two of encouragement today.  It certainly makes each day special doesn't it? Or if you're spending the day alone, I hope you can find joy in the simple things, and gratitude for the day.

Cheers and thanks for dropping in.
Sally XX


 


20 comments:

  1. Positive news about some rain Sally , but alas not the washing...it's not a bad price to pay for the reward of a few precious drops though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The washing eventually dried on the indoor rack Heather, lovely showers we've received over the past few days.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear you got some rain, we got some up my way too, and it was very welcome indeed!

    Trevor’s story warms my heart.

    Have a lovely weekend Sally ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, I hope you're enjoying your weekend.

      Delete
  3. Sally for some reason I thought you were getting a lot of rain in SA. Perhaps it is patchy like here in Queensland. It always seems to bypass us :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're not as dry as NSW and Queensland Chel, but we're still down 150mls on our average rainfall which is reflected in our crop quality.

      Delete
  4. Great to see Trevor looking so healthy and woolly, Sally. That's gotta make you feel good every time you see him! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His wool is really superb Meg. That's the great plus when rescuing lambs from superfine merino farmers. Yeah, I really do have a special place in my heart for him.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful face Trevor has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brigie, I'm going to show your comment to the person, who I shall not name here, who thinks Trevor is ugly. Thanks for agreeing with me that he is handsome in his own special way. lol ;-)

      Delete
  6. We could do without the wind, it's going to blow all the blossom off my plum trees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our side verandah was covered in blossoms Keryn. It seems to happen every year just as the plums and stone fruits are setting their fruit. Perhaps it's nature's way of thinning.

      Delete
  7. Love to read your posts Sally

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh sally you dag! This is why we are friends! LOL

    As usual your sourdough looks divine. Between my starter and my oven mine is conspiring against me! gah!

    And yes, to find gratitude in the kind words of a dear friend, rain or the company of our animals is infinatley valuable. (wrong spelling but I have had wine and spell check and I are no longer speaking.)

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah dear Em you know me well. I hope your week ahead is better on the sourdough front, and all other things too. XX

      Delete
  9. Glad to hear about the rain. And let's just take a moment to admire those loaves...i can almost here the crust crunch from here. They look amazing Sally.
    have a great weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura, We had some nice rain all weekend so I'm happy. I hope your weekend was lovely too.

      Delete
  10. Hello there Sally,

    It has been a while since I have visited blogs, but I am glad that I dropped by yours today.

    Your sourdough bread looks amazing. You encourage me to try harder to master making decent rustic loaves. Thank you for sharing how you make it in earlier posts, I have saved them for reference. I have also saved your marmalade recipe as there is still a lot of citrus fruit hanging on our trees.

    Rain has been scarce here this year. We traveled to Adelaide a few days ago and it rained heavily from Port Pirie onward to the city. Spent the day dodging the rain while shopping etc then headed home with more of the same showers, but it stopped at Mambray Creek! By the time we pulled in our driveway it was dry as a bone. This winter I have had to water plants regularly, not something that I normally have to do.

    Washing on the line is a good way to encourage rain lol! That view of the blossoms is beautiful, what a lovely place to sit with a cuppa and cake. Trevor has grown into a very handsome boy, so glad to hear he will live a long gentle life in the place that saved him :)

    Wishing you love and happiness,

    Tania xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tania, I've always been envious of your beautiful sourdough loaves. I've got mandarins that I picked today, a bit sour, so I'll turn them into marmalade tomorrow. I think it's going to be a dry spring too, according to the long range forecast, so we will minimise our summer vege plantings this year. Thanks for your lovely comment. XX

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...