Sunday 3 March 2019

Morning Routines


Good morning to my lovely flower girls, Lavender and Honeysuckle.

I wanted to roughly document my morning routine here during the height of summer when the days are long, dry and hot. There are no lazy Sunday mornings and every day is basically the same.
When we decided to begin farming we knew there would be a solid commitment to the animals and plants which rely on us to be there regularly to care for all of their needs.
On week days Brian leaves for work before the sun is up and I usually get up then too.  Still too dark to let the poultry out of their fox proof sheds I wake up with a cup of Earl Grey at the kitchen table with a view out to see the sun appearing over the horizon.
I use this time to check on messages or inquiries about workshops or orders through the Farmgate stall.  These ten minutes can be quite a productive time and often create a change in my day's schedule.
But first my farm work must be completed because our animals are relying on me to keep to the routine they are used to.  During these hot days I need to get all of my outside jobs done early, so fortified with tea, and dressed in my old farming clothes, I head outside.


Beginning with Matron's rounds of releasing the six pens of chooks and bantams from their night sheds. I'll come back later to clean out water containers and feed them. They all free range into different yards, paddocks, orchard, vegetable garden and house gardens.
Back to the house to collect a bucket of hot water before heading across to the cows and milking shed.

Honeysuckle is always happy to see me and when I open her gate she is eager to run into the dairy for her morning feed mix of chaff, crushed grain, molasses and minerals. Jerseys are renowned for their pretty faces and Honey is no exception. It's those eyes, in a constant look of surprise.

Only one cow to milk at present, and only in the mornings.
Our other house cow Lavender, was dried off at the beginning of last month (February) to allow her body to rest and prepare for the birth of her calf in early April.
Honeysuckle has been lactating for fourteen months (from her previous owners) so her production has decreased enough (8 litres) and I can milk her just once a day. I plan to dry her off (stop milking) at the end of March. 
Her AI in January appears to have been successful and we are confident she has conceived. Due to calve in mid October, I want to allow her a few months to rest her body and gain some weight. 
I'm not used to skinny dairy cows, bag of bones, and would prefer her to carry a bit more weight.

Always accompanied by my helpers Alan and young Kelpie pup Jack, waiting in the feed shed until they are permitted to come out.

Morning 'hay up' time for the dry cows.
The two older milking cows are in a paddock separate from the other three youngsters, heifers Poppy and Bertie, and Stretch the steer. 
At this time of year when the paddocks are almost bare each group of cows eat a full rack of hay during the morning and again at night. 
I'm so thankful we have enough hay to feed them well.
Milking and cleaning up is finished, the hay has been forked out, so I head back to the house and put the bucket of milk into the fridge until the other animals have been fed and outside work is done. I can decide what I want to do with the milk later.

The pigs that we raise are for our own consumption, so we feed them solely on garden and kitchen scraps, bread, milk and wind-fall fruit from our own and other local orchards. They do very well on this food and we prefer to eat meat that has not been pumped with grain and manufactured foods. 
This is the way our grandparents raised pigs, and when I began raising our pigs I was told by the commercial piggery man that it couldn't be done. Apparently the pigs wouldn't survive. 
Ha! I believe they are so indoctrinated by science, and have never tried free range meat. 
Thankfully it's more common now to find free range breeders like our friends Peggy and John who's piglets we always buy.
I feed our pigs twice daily, but always check on them during the day and throw in a biscuit of hay to eat if their feed trough is empty.  Yes I always like my animals to have some food available to eat if they desire it.
Drinking water containers are securely cemented into the ground so they cannot tip them over and be left without water. I clean them out every morning and refill with fresh water.

Pigs don't have sweat glands so they have no way of cooling themselves in the heat. During hot days above 28C degrees we hose them a couple of times during the day and on days above 35C degrees we hose them every couple of hours. We ensure their mud puddles are always topped up so they can cool off at any time.. Caring for the pigs is my work, but Brian will step in to help if I need him to fix the electric fence, which they regularly break.

I return to the poultry yards to feed out scraps, fruit, grain and yogurt. Water containers are all cleaned out and refilled.
Into the feed shed and prepare the pig food for their evening meal, bread and yogurt mash with chopped up wind-fall apples or carrots. 
The poultry grain is soaked in readiness for the following day and fresh milk is added to the yoghurt bucket in the sun to make another batch of yogurt for tomorrow.  

There were peaches to be picked this morning, but yesterday it was apples. Young Jack thinks apples are for grabbing from the box and make a wonderful ball. 
It's getting quite hot by now and I estimate it would be approx 8am. The forecast is 40C degrees and it's getting up there rapidly. 
I know I should carry my phone with me when alone at home, but I usually don't. I prefer the freedom of being out of contact, however,  I carried it yesterday and tried to snap photos of my morning.

The Farmgate stall needs to be opened and fresh eggs placed into the esky for the regular egg customers who usually turn up early. A few vegetables and rhubarb to be picked, washed and bundled up or bagged ready for those early buyers.  The shelves need restocking with tubs of honey and jars of jams, pickles and sauces.
Meanwhile the fruit trees need to be watered on my slow hose drip rotation. Hmm.. which ones got watered yesterday? Whose turn is it today?

All the pots need watering with a hose. I'm a slave to my pots and threaten to do away with most of them before next summer, but they look so nice, make me feel happy, so they stay.
A rotation of house gardens and first summer plantings need watering by hose on alternate days, and although I prefer to do it in the evenings, often my energy is depleted by then so I hose a bit of water on some plants to keep them going. The vegetable gardens are on timer drippers and sprinklers and are always watered in the evenings.

 There's time for a  walk in the paddocks with the dogs, checking the cage fox traps, electric fences and generally burning off a bit of puppy energy. Meg usually goes to work with Brian so she is not pictured here.

Boots and socks are off and back inside again just as the heat of the day is rolling in. 
Today there's a pot of nectarine jam (cut up and prepared last night)  that I started simmering on the gas ring while drinking my morning cuppa.  I turned off the gas before going outside though. 
Boiled over jam is not a pleasant start to any day, but it has happened to me more than once.


There's washing to be put into the machine for soaking, dogs breakfast to feed out, verandahs to sweep, a bit of tidying up outside and thankfully, I can stay inside for most of the day, until outside evening work needs to be done.

Today, before the water from the cold tap gets warm, I whip up a batch of butter from cream that is three days old and past its freshness.  Butter at this time of year is pale in colour due to the lack of green fodder. In winter and spring the butter is much more yellow.
It's 10am, time for a coffee and think about what to take out of the freezer for tonight's dinner.

There will be plenty of work to do inside; produce from the garden to pickle or preserve, honey to be poured into tubs and labeled, the never ending house work routines and meal preparation that keeps us healthy and our home running smoothly.

It may be the one day of the week that I need to go out to the shops, run errands, and visit an elderly lady friend. Or there may be a planned visit from friends calling in for morning coffee and chat.
At this time of year my weekly volunteer sessions at the public library are put on hold. There's much to be done at home but I enjoy doing this meaningful work and am thankful for the fruits of our labor in the months to follow.

In another month this morning routine will be different and there will be more time to spend outside in the garden and a short holiday.

How does your morning flow? And does it change according to seasons?

20 comments:

  1. That sure is a busy morning routine...great to document these everyday routines for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy it will be interesting to look back on in years to come.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for that journey, I “escaped” for 10 minutes while reading it, and felt like I was with you every step of the way. I’ve said it before, but what a busy beautiful life you live, it seems just so right that humans should live this way, like days of old, simply, humbly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes it turned out a loooong post didn't it Cheryl? Thanks for sticking it out to the end.

      Delete
  3. Sally while I could never keep up with you due to continuing health problems I had a chuckle when you said you 'visit an elderly lady friend'. I'm guessing 'elderly' would relate to the majority of us who read your much awaited always interesting posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merryl the elderly lady is 84 years old and every second Tuesday she cooks a three course lunch for their Friendship Club of a remaining seven elderlies. Such an inspiration, and we're certainly grateful every day for our good health.

      Delete
  4. That's a busy time you have in the mornings, Sally. It must be so very satisfying though. I am also a bit of a slave to my potted plants and make sure they are watered during this dry spell as it hasn't rained much at all during summer. I have left the veggies go as it is just too dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chel, for some it's only the pots that we can nurture due to lack of available water. They're worth the effort though aren't they? We're grateful we're the last property on the pipeline and can use tap water when our tanks run dry.

      Delete
  5. Oh Sally what a beautiful picture you paint of your morning farm routine! I felt like I was right there with you and what fabulous action shots of all the animals. Give them a pat for me. I do love your pigs, and your house cows. Gosh I ache to turn this place into a proper farm!

    My mornings usually consist of waking up the boys (why are they up at the crack of dawn on weekends but sleep in on weekdays?) Breakfast, coffee, packing the lunches and doing the dishes. Prompting three little sleepy heads along the way to move onto the next task. I then go into the little boys tent and make their beds before the day heats up and ensure there is nothing touching the side of the tents in case it rains.

    On the way out I call the dogs into the yard to secure them, make sure Tessa is up and having a walk and check the animals all have water for the day.

    Then we all load up and travel into town. Usually I would wake up early and do some writing, pop the washing on and perhaps potter in the kitchen but we are on limited power at the moment and the sun is not on the solar until it is higher in the sky which limits what I am able to do for now.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Em your morning routine will likely change frequently as your building progresses. Having a routine keeps us a bit sane I think, especially for you, a young mum of three active boys and setting up a home and farm from nothing. I take my hat off to you! XX

      Delete
  6. Oh, I love all that natural wood in your home. Especially the butter paddles. Mmm...REAL butter! I'm making some Chilli Jam today, and thankfully the day is not too hot for it.

    Morning routines, well mine has been upside down the past two weeks. Dave took some holidays (first job in decades, he actually gets paid ones) and took over the kid's routine for school. But as of today, I'm back on the job.

    Every day though, my day starts with coffee (decafe - yes, I know I'm hardcore like that) and organising clothes or dishes afterwards. A family of four, generates quite a bit. Normally, it would be feeding the chickens in the morning too, but I don't have any (temporarily) at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris I recently discovered the butter paddles are called 'Scotch Hands'. I'll feed the milk to pigs and chooks but I simple must take the cream off first, so there's butter making every week. It's nice to have a time of upside down routine to freshen us up. My routine will change gradually over the next month as pigs go into the freezer and no cows to milk daily for a month.

      Delete
  7. Sally as I was reading your morning routine I found myself nodding and noting similarities when we lived on the farm. Our move was six years ago! I cant believe it has been that long since I moved into town. My morning are very slow with a side of Earl Grey Tea. Over the heat of summer I was watering every morning and being careful to keep the water off the leaves and only around the plant base. No chooks here just yet. Once the days of heading off caravanning for three months in the middle of the year are over, perhaps then. Enjoy your busy and productive life.
    PS. This years journey looks like we will be heading from the Hunter Valley afterbour sons wedding at the end of September to the Barossa. Might just have to pull in and say hello.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, just between you and I, I'd keep to your lifestyle just the way it is if I were in your shoes. I dream of an opportunity to travel for 3 months of the year and think you've probably done your years of hard farming work. The trouble is we can't have it all can we. Chooks or travel?? I'll be watching and waiting for your visit Jane and will definitely have the kettle on with a batch of scones.

      Delete
  8. enjoyed every minute of the work you just did! how i miss living on an actual farm (with animals!) i only have the chooks & potted plants to look after & my days are very slow (as am I) i do vegies down in our community gardens as watering is free there, my gardens are just too dry
    butter, real butter from a farm is very missed, shop bought is all i have to use at present & it's pail all year.
    ahhh one day i might be back on a working farm but for now i will just enjoy yours!
    wonderful post
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Selina I always love seeing your comments. What a great community garden you have there in Kilkivan. Please say hello to Shane from us.

      Delete
  9. I'm a little late commenting Sally, but wanted to say how lovely it was reading your post. It brought a smile to my face as someone who loved growing up on a farm, though now living in the outer suburbs of Perth. Thank you for your blog and the great photos, it's a real pleasure to read. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret thank you for your lovely words. It's nice to know that you're following along and being reminded of your past farming life.

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful visit to your farm! Thank you.
    Patricia USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed spending a morning with me Patricia.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...