Saturday 4 April 2020

Icecream

A reader (Kathy) asked for my ice-cream recipe.  I have a few that I use depending on various factors; 
- the type of cream on hand, 
(shop cream, cream from our own cows, very thick, or thin cream)
- the amount of eggs I have on hand.
(are the hens laying or are they having a spell?)
- do I want to use the ice-cream churn or not?

The ice-cream that I made this week is the original recipe from the instruction booklet supplied with my cheap ice-cream churn purchased approximately eight years ago.  
The freezer bowl of this churn lives in the freezer until I'm ready to use it.
This is a quick and lazy ice-cream but of course, as you will know me by now, I have adapted it slightly to improve the texture and flavour. The original recipe is below and my adaptions are in red. 

Vanilla Ice-cream 
 1 1/2 cups milk     
1 1/2 cups cream          2 cups cream
1 egg                            Separate egg. (Save egg white until later)
1/2 cup castor sugar    Icing sugar for a smoother texture. Icing mixture is OK too.
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence   or 2 dessertspoons runny honey

Method; Process all ingredients (except egg white) in a blender or food processor until well blended.
Place mixture into a pouring jug or bowl, cover and place in freezer for an 1 - 2 hrs until chilled and starting to slightly freeze at the edges.  
Stir mixture quickly and pour into rotating freezer bowl.
Just before pouring into ice-cream churn beat the saved egg white until fluffy and fold into chilled mixture.
Process until it begins to look like soft ice-cream.  

Scrape into a bowl, cover with lid and freeze.
Ready to eat after 4-5hrs.

With so much cream and no artificial fillers this ice-cream is rich. The ice-cream addict here takes just one scoop instead of his usual two.

However, if you don't have a churn this Mary Berry Ice-cream is very very good. 


We're ticking over to four weeks of isolation and no shopping.  The trade economy in our neighbourhood circle has kicked in; bringing with it a deeper sense of appreciation for things we may have taken for granted previously. 


I filled Meg's bottles with fresh milk and received these treats that we don't have growing in our own garden. 


Brian and Damon are doing some poultry trading......but I got the best end of the deal. 
This was a total surprise, and delivered to our gate too!
Never before have flour and yeast, eggplants, beans and capsicums, made my heart sing quite to this extent.

I hope there is the joy of a generous community where you are too.

Cheers,

Sally XX





12 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this.....the ice cream is on my list this afternoon. My delivery of spray free veggies arrived this morning so I have been busy chopping up and putting them into containers in the fridge and have made a salsa and have the zucchini slice ready for the oven. I'll get to the ice cream next. Thanks for taking the time to post much appreciated. Regards Kathy, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps...I have been making the condensed milk one however both kids think it's too rich - I think it's amazing. My Mum is allergic to store bought ice cream and ends up on the couch for a few days...she used to only eat an ice cream cone with the Grand kids when she would visit them in Perth once or twice a year but never knew what it was for years and then bang...she worked out it was the ice cream and as you say if you look at the list of ingredients it's criminal we can buy and eat this food. I have made her our home made ice cream and of course she can eat it without any problems due to the ingredients - real food. Have a good week. Kathy, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy I didn't know if you have an ice-cream churn so I included both types of recipes. I often make the condensed milk method, but with only one can left in the pantry I'm holding onto it and using ingredients that I have ample quantities of. Your mum is lucky she found the cause of her allergic reaction. I hope your ice-cream is delicious.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful community you live in, Sally. One really beautiful aspect of these unusual times. We make homemade ice-cream here quite regularly using milk, cream, a little sugar, vanilla and egg yolks. I use my thermomix to make the 'custard' initially and then to beat it the second time. Homemade is so much nicer than store bought. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, such simple ingredients for real taste wow factor. Your Thermie would certainly make the job quicker and easier.

      Delete
  4. I have made ice cream during summer and it is much nicer than the chemical filled one in the shops. I often make mango ice cream as they are fairly cheap at times here in Qld. Sally, yours must taste delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chel I'm drooling at the thought of mango ice-cream.

      Delete
  5. Looks like community spirit is alive and well Sally. Goes to show you are very much appreciated <3

    Thank you for the ice-cream recipe. I am not a fan but Phil is, although these days it is soy instead of dairy. I think there are vegan recipes out there for making ice-cream, might have to take a looksee. I remember mum making ice-cream with cream from the cow when I was young. She froze it in those aluminum ice trays, I think they were. Crikey I could have died from aluminum poisoning haha!

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Tania I too remember Mum's ice-cream made in the shallow aluminium trays in the tiny little freezer. It was such a treat... ha what simple tastes we had back then AND lived to tell the tale..lol

      Delete
  6. Oh, that trading - it's wonderful to see! We're going to speak with our neighbours, once we get our coop done, if we can have their hens stay over for a couple of weeks with our lonesome rooster. I have the incubator and can hatch some eggs for new layers, for all of us. As long as they still have them, I reckon the neighbours will be up for it.

    Their hens were free-ranging in our yard a couple of weeks back, and have since disappeared. So I hope it was just a matter of patching the hole in their coop, and they haven't gone entirely. As finding hens at this point, is challenging. Like toilet paper, they're always sold out.

    I like the sound of your ice-cream recipe. I've made similar with our old ice-cream machine, when we had it. The taste is incredible with fresh ingredients! Only I bet yours tastes better with fresh cows milk. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris I hope you're able to get those fertile eggs for incubating. It's amazing how there's been a rush on laying hens - another form of toilet paper hoarding ;-) Whilst some folks like yourselves, know how to look after poultry, I suspect most of those people don't have a clue. We have refused all requests of hen sales apart from our few regular and experienced poultry owning customers. Our hens are presently going through their annual moult and eggs are a bit scarce, so our regular egg customers are permitted to buy a dozen eggs once a week on a rotational system. The icecream is too good Chris... and yesterday's batch has ripe bananas added. Oh dear, too delicious. lol

      Delete
  7. Wow u r amazing sally 💕💕💕💕💕 I can taste it in my mouth now and it’s gud for kids too very healthy 💕💕💕💕 m gona try it and let u know soon

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...