Friday 29 May 2020

The End of May - Pruning and Cows


Hello Friends,

It's the end of May and the last of the Glory Vine surrounding the house verandah has been pruned and mulched.
Brian did the pruning in less than an hour. Before I could offer to assist it was all on the ground.!  That man! He certainly gets on with things without a minute's hesitation. He is truly motivation on steroids.
"Leave the cuttings on the ground." I said.  "I want to go through them and make a wreath." 
The least I could do was pick up the mess on the ground, and I needed to find a valid excuse so that he didn't rush to do it all, and leave me feeling guilty for not helping.

Later in the day, when I'd finished what I was doing, I made a wreath.
The remainder of the vine sticks went onto the mulching pile for Brian to run over with the tractor and mulcher.  After rotting down over winter I'll shovel it onto the garden.

 Honeysuckle is almost unrecognizable from that timid and thin cow that we brought home from the livestock market roughly two years ago.  You can catch up on bringing home our new Honeysuckle cow here
After numerous AI (artificial insemination) attempts we took her to visit a bull last October, and is due to calve at the end of June. Next month!
Unlike our other two house cows, Lavender and Poppy, who were hand raised here and learned to trust us from an early age, Honeysuckle was raised on a large commercial dairy.  Understandably, she was shy and had very little trust in humans. It has been a long process to gain her trust, I can gently stroke her head now, but only when she's in the right mood. She will follow me into the dairy but will not comply if any other person is within sight.
It is more than a year since I stopped milking her, allowing her to dry off and put all of her energy into gaining weight, conceiving,  and carrying a calf.
She has been enjoying life, as she rightly deserves, and now it's time to resume her training to walk into the dairy each day.
After her calf is born I will be milking her every day, sharing the milk with her calf which will stay with her. Cows love their babies, as much as we humans love ours, and it aggrieves me to see calves taken from their mothers.
After the calf is born, I don't want to put Honeysuckle through the stress of re-training, re-learning to walk into the dairy. So, for the past month I have been putting in the effort every day, to remind her how great it is to walk into the dairy for her special treats. I'm also able to check her thoroughly each day and when her calf is awake I can feel it moving about in there when I rest my hands on her belly.
Last weekend I found a lump under her jaw that worried me, so I called a vet to come and check it out.
Honeysuckle would be easily stressed if we tried to move her away from the other cows so we brought all three of them into the cattle yards attached to the cattle crush.  She has never been into our crush, there has never been a need, and I absolutely didn't want the vet to treat her in the dairy. The dairy is to be associated with pleasant things, not traumatic events.

After drafting off the other two cows, Honeysuckle moved calmly into the crush, poked her head through far enough for the mechanism to close, holding her head to prevent any movement.
We really struck it lucky with this new (to us) vet. Georgia from Barossa Vet Services is wise and experienced beyond her years. A young woman, slight of stature, really knows her way around a cow. I admit to being a bit stressed, but she certainly put me at ease with her gentle and respectful treatment of both animal and humans.
She told me that most farmers wouldn't notice a lump of that size, and she would usually be called when it was much bigger and required more intensive treatment.
Thanks to the close daily contact between cow and owner, we are able to get on top of this infected cyst, requiring a course of anti-biotics, before her calf is born.
Had I left it longer, and she had required anti-biotics whilst lactating, neither calf nor other creatures could consume the milk for seven days or more. In such a case, taking her calf away from her would be required.  A stress neither cow or this owner would want to endure.

Here's another valid reason for all cow owners to have a working and reliable crush. I can't believe how many folks buy cows but don't think to build the infrastructure to properly care for them.
I can't tell you how many times we have needed to bring in a cow to remove a grass seed from an eye. Often this simple procedure can be done in the milking bales, which is fine for those cows that are used to being restrained for milking.
But what happens when a beef cow gets a grass seed in its eye? If it isn't removed within a day or two the eye will become ulcerated and blindness will rapidly follow. A devastating result caused by a neglectful owner. 
Hobby farmers - Please ensure you build the proper infrastructure before taking ownership of cows. You will need secure yards with solid fences high enough for cows not to jump over, a loading ramp and a crush of some type.


In the latest Grass Roots magazine I've written about what's been happening here, while the front gate is shut to all visitors while we are in isolation. Actually not much has changed but I have enjoyed the more relaxed lifestyle, with no calls to host guests or to be sociable. Perhaps I'll keep the gate closed for awhile longer.
How about you? Are your bursting to get out or are you secretly enjoying the peace and solitude as I am?






10 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed the solitude (I'm the classic introvert)
    but I'm starting to take baby steps into the outside
    world! The last few weeks we've been enjoying (socially
    distanced) wine and nibbles with four friends each
    Saturday afternoon and in a few weeks a social running/
    walking group we're very involved in may start up
    again (we've been having meetings via Zoom which no one
    is finding very satisfactory). That's enough for me
    for the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small steps back will be the way to go for me too Barbara.

      Delete
  2. Sally, I have been enjoying catching up with friends one at a time but apart from that I am usually at home. As I am retired my lifestyle hasn't changed all that much in the past few weeks. Thank goodness you found that lump so early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear you've been staying connected with friends Chel. I'm meeting a friend for coffee next week; first time out in a cafe for such a long time. XX

      Delete
  3. Umm, I am more bursting to stay in really. Having said that, I am also looking forward to cafe times again instead of take aways. We try to have a coffee and snack of sorts perhaps once a week so I have missed that. Otherwise I enjoy home time. Beautiful Honeysuckle 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hearing you Brigie. I think I'm beginning to miss our occasional drives into the hills to poke around and eat lunch in a cafe. But I'm not ready for the frenetic lifestyle prior to Covid. Perhaps it's a sign. ;-)

      Delete
  4. How lucky your cows are, Sally. The love and respect you have for them is there in your words. When I was very young, my family had a house cow and I remember also collecting milk and cream from my aunty and uncle's nearby farm. My mother made the world's best ice-cream (in my opinion) from that milk. They had a dairy where we could watch the cows being milked. I remember the smell of cow dung and molasses from that time too. I am so glad that mother and calf are not separated on Jembella farm. MegXx
    p.s. Enjoyed your article in Grass Roots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Meg, it's lovely to hear from you. It sounds like those cow smells evoke some precious memories. I think there is no sweeter smell than a cow's breath. XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow Honeysuckle has come a long way from the skinny little calf you brought home, can't wait to see her with calf, they are so cute when very young!
    i didn't read your article, i don't buy many magazines or papers, usually just pick up the free community news.
    i stay home most of the time anyway so not much has changed here for me & i certainly don't think they should let up the restrictions so soon either, so hope people keep it going, til winter is over at least, Europe copped the worse in their winter.
    wonderful post
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Selina, I'm the same as you, never buy magazines but I borrow the few that I enjoy at our local library. I think we've all got too much 'stuff' without adding papers and magazines to our clutter. I hope all is going well with you and you're able to go to the community garden again.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...