Tuesday 20 July 2021

Let's Do This

 

It's been awhile since I wrote. The format on Blogger has changed, so I'm negotiating my way around this with my very limited computer knowledge. But challenges are good for us, so they say.

Hello again, after a whole year of no writing it's time to get back here. Well... actually the prompting from well meaning friends is giving me the impetus to push through this pain barrier.

Laptop on the kitchen table, the wood stove is cooking a leg of lamb from the sheep processing we did last week, and our state is going into lock-down again this evening.

There's no excuse that I don't have time to write.

Let's do this.

In briefly re-capping our year, I'll do a story with photos.

On Christmas Eve,  our neighbor started a fire with his angle grinder which quickly enveloped a large portion of our grazing paddocks. 

I ran up that hill from our house to move cattle out while Brian joined the throng of CFS trucks, water bomber planes and volunteer farm fire fighters who appeared out of nowhere.

The flames were right behind me as I moved the cows and a four hours old calf to safety.

After the flames were out we stayed awake all night, on watch, comforted by the flashing lights of CFS trucks full of volunteers working through the night. 

They gave up their Christmas Eve to help us and the many other landowners who were affected.

The following day, Christmas Day, we had a very ill cow that required all of our attention and prayers. 

A wonderful friend who is a vet came to our aid, and neighboring dairy friends supplied us with the medications required to treat her.  

She was up and moving about, feeding her calf again by nightfall.

We had lost half of our grazing land, most of our fences, but there was much to be grateful about. 

We didn't get a Christmas but we had a fridge full of Christmas food that sustained us in the following days of recovery, along with the many offers of help and condolences from community and friends far and wide.



The property where the fire began had been sold, the old owners were about to move out.                   The new owners came to our aid, allowing us to lease a section of their land adjoining our property.     A life saver. Somewhere to put the cows. Another blessing.

 
I was feeding out hay to them in the wheelbarrow, six barrows a day and a distance of roughly five hundred metres across to the leased paddock. 
We had talked about getting a small side by side with a tray on the back, for those times I need to get up the hill in a hurry and to cart hay and firewood, do paddock work etc. 
Brian saw this for sale on Gumtree and we snapped it up.


All the summer things; 
Beekeeper teaching and consulting.



Harvesting fruit and preserving.

 
 
 



Crushing grain for chickens and livestock in the grain crusher that he found in a friend's paddock. 
It's older than me and took many hours of restoration, but it works beautifully.

Eight days post knee-replacement surgery in April.
I stayed in a hotel in the City while he was in hospital. I'd been looking forward to a break away from the farm but was itching to get back after three nights.
His recovery has been good with very little pain, and was back at work after ten weeks.


It was an excellent breeding season from September until April, with almost eighty chicks hatched to these Pekin hens. I sold most of the new hens when they were big enough to leave their mums. 
In late April this hen disappeared and returned three weeks later with a dozen chicks.

In late April, one week after Brian's return from hospital, I leaned into the bottom of the cow's feed bin and broke a rib.  Rest for six to eight weeks they all said!

I was the one caring for Brian and running the farm during his absence from heavy work, so it was inconvenient but together we got through it, in our tag team kind of way, and a bit of occasional help from family.  

I was forced to adjust the way I work here, learning to take things at a slower pace, and moving my chores around to suit me. 

I learned to crochet, thanks to dear patient Inge, and Utube.... and discovered a new meditative calm in my days.


Wherever you are I hope you're finding your way to calm in these strange times. 

Thanks for visiting here, and now that I seem to have almost got this sorted out, I promise to see you again soon. 

Leaving you with a drawing from my current favourite illustrator Charlie Mackesy.



19 comments:

  1. I cannot tell you how happy I am to see your update! What a year you have had! I hope both you and Brian are fully healed, and recovered, and enjoying quiet winter evenings by the fire.
    Thank you for this post!
    Patricia/USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear Patricia, thanks for your gentle prompt to write an update. It was certainly a full year, and we got through it better than some. I hope life has been treating you kindly. XX

      Delete
  2. It's so good to see you back. I see you have not been too idle all year. Wow. Glad you are both mending in your own ways. Bet that fig jam was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brigie, thanks for visiting and for your kind words. I hope all is well in your world. XX

      Delete
  3. I'm very glad to see you back. Sounds like you have had an eventful year! I hope things are on a more even keel now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy, it's absolutely wonderful to be pain free once again and fit to get things done. I hope you're well.XX

      Delete
  4. The fires would be very scary that's for sure, glad you were all safe. I've broken a rib before and oh my gosh it's very painful. I was a bit confused when blogger changed and didn't know what I was doing [and hate change] however after a couple of blog posts I knew where things were that I used to do so it's pretty normal now. Great to see your update on the blog. Regards Kathy, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy new things are challenging but we just have to wade in don't we. Thanks for your visit, it's so good to hear from you again. XX

      Delete
  5. So nice to read from you again! A lot can happen in a year. Hope you are heading to a less worry-full time. A healing time. You must have very happy chicken (or a happy rooster :-)
    Groetjes, Wendy, the Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Wendy, our ten little Pekin bantam hens (and two roosters) were so fertile and good at mothering, there were more chicks than we could handle. They free range around our house yard, are so cute and very good company while I'm gardening. Thanks for visiting, it's really lovely to hear from you in The Netherlands. XX

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good to see a post from you - You've had quite the year!
    I'm glad you are healthy and strong again.
    Looking forward to reading more.

    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  8. p.s. Crochet and knitting - such wonderful calming pastimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra, thanks for dropping in and for your lovely words. I hope you're doing OK if you're in lock-down like so many of us are at present. Thank goodness for yarn activities that are so good for calming the mind. XX

      Delete
  9. Oh, a lot can happen in a year! I had wondered what was happening at Jembella Farm. Glad that you have both come through the challenges of the year. The fire would have been so worrying but I loved reading too how neighbours and friends offered help and support. I think it's been a year throughout the entire world
    where the importance of family and community has really been highlighted. I 💓 the beautiful colours in the crochet too! MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helloooo Meg, well... the advantage of tapping out a blog post is reuniting with blogger friends. Thank you for adding your lovely words here. I've caught up on your blog too, and have found the perfect little gift (lavender bags) to make and send to a friend in WA. I hope you and your family are doing OK during these challenging times. XXX Sally

      Delete
  10. Hi there Sally, so good to hear from you again on your lovely blog. It has been great to catch up on what has been happening at Jembella. That was a close call with the fire. And good to hear Brian's knee op went well.

    Somehow I missed this post until now, probably because I have had a lot going on in my life lately.

    So glad you have decided to start posting here again. I will get my blog up and running again soon, because I am just a little over scrolling mindlessly on social media. I realise that I enjoy reading a good blog post so much more!

    Take care in these trying times and enjoy the new spring season.

    Love Tania xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear Tania, you've been in my thoughts as I hope you're able to find a little bit of joy in your days after the loss of your much loved mum. I'm afraid my blogging will remain sporadic, as much as I'd love to find the time and energy for doing all that I'd like to do. XX Sal

      Delete
  11. Goodness, that was a terrible stretch of bad luck for you all! Here I was hoping, you were just so busy with farm life and retirement, it wasn't worth sitting down and writing about. In away, it was kinda true - but not in the way, I was hoping for. More of a baking scones and whipping homemade cream, kinda way. Or the bees were so productive, we just didn't have time to write about them.

    Well, you have certainly earned some down time and reflection. I reflected on a farmer I heard recently, who was impacted by a painful injury - that it gives you time to work out, how you have to work smarter. So while it's not a lot of fun to experience, it's also an opportunity to re-evaluate - for those times that aren't very kind to you.

    Thanks for taking the time to share, and I'm sure glad your home and animals was spared from the fire. Rest up and heal. I certainly enjoyed seeing your mamma hen and her babies. As it's new life, which promises new beginnings. Sometimes it helps to be reminded of that, as the grind can sure try to wear us down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear Chris, gosh I always appreciate your heartfelt comments. We're a resilient bunch, us Aussie farmers, but oh my goodness after the fire it was the kindness of people around us who enabled the tears to come when it was safe to do so. I'm dreading the approaching summer, (PTSD) but for now we're enjoying being surrounded on all sides by lush green grass and fat cows and sheep. XX

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...